Thursday, December 27, 2012

Snowy Lady Card

Saturday night as we drove home with my mother-in-law from her family's Christmas gathering, she talked about the days when she rode a horse to school. She had to walk a couple of miles to a cousin's house, then they rode a horse together about five more miles. She said they got really cold sometimes and if it was raining hard, they'd pull a blanket over themselves. Later, I asked if they had snow days like my grandchildren had last week. My husband reminded me they had no way to inform the students that there would be no school. Virginia said they could have called on the phone, but they never did close school for bad weather and she never stayed home. Times have changed so much since the 1920's and '30's.

I made this card for her with that story in mind. She'll enjoy the lovely girl in her bonnet in the snow. God has blessed my mother-in-law with many gentle years. She talks of those hardships with a smile and a laugh.

I was inspired to make this card using the sketch and colors from Sketchy Colors challenge #144:

They also provided this photo for inspiration. I used colors from the photo and a girl with a lovely hat.
 

 The white and cream background panels were embossed with a 5" x 7" embossing folder. I die cut 2 snowflakes using the cream colored cardstock and an older Spellbinder's die. The smaller white snowflake was punched with a Martha Stewart punch. The tiniest snowflake on the organdy bow is actually a button I've had for six years. I added a bitty pearl in the center so it would go with the other snowflakes. I've had the piece of "painted wood" patterned paper so long I can't remember what it was. The star of the show is the lovely girl in the snow. I found it at Magic Moonlight Free Images.

I'm sharing this card with the following challenges who also inspired this card in some way:
Sketchy Colors #144 - sketch, colors, and image
Crafts and Me - Winter Wonderland
Crafty Calendar - White Christmas (option - metal - not used)
Fashionista - Winter
Fab 'n' Funky #152 - add ribbon and/or lace
Crafty Mess #23 - Vintage Christmas
 

3 comments:

Lisa Lara said...

Wow this is gorgeous Vickie.

Pat K said...

Gorgeous card Vickie. Very elegant. Thanks so much for joining us at Fab'n'Funky. hugs, Pat K.xx

Jannhild said...

Really beautiful card!! Gorgeous!!
Thank you so much for joining us at Sketchy Colors sketch and color challenge this time. Good luck!
Hugs, Jannhild