Sunday, February 17, 2013

Scripture Encouragement Box with Mojo Monday Card

Today we are going to a birthday party, a very difficult one. My husband's uncle just found out he only has a couple of month's left to live. He knows his 80th birthday will be his last one. I tried to decide what would be an appropriate gift. Adding to his worldly possessions seems superfluous. The best gift I could imagine is an inviting collection of Scripture verses that encourage. When my time comes, that's what I want to fill my mind with. It always helps me through physical illness.

Last fall I posted "Get Well" papercrafted "purses" that had verses I typed or stamped with Our Daily Bread Designs scripture. This time I wanted a masculine version. I used Word Art Wednesday verses from the past couple of years, along with some from Papercraft Memories. I decorated a tea box with a masculine theme, using paper and images my husband picked out. I printed the verses on 4" x 6" notecards, two to a card which was then cut in half, just the right size for this box. I used this week's Mojo Monday sketch, rotated on it's side,for his matching birthday card. I used the birthday greeting from Our Daily Bread Designs set called "Happy Birthday."




My husband said he liked to fish and picked this image from the Graphic45 Botanical collection.


The top of the box has paper and images from Graphic45 and some antique gold Durables from Close To My Heart.



Here is a sample verse from Word Art Wednesday on May 9, 2012. There are so many uplifting verses that you can print for a project like this. Besides the strength they can give someone, they're also designed to have visual appeal, which hopefully invites the reader to read them again and again.

I plan to make another one for my daughter's birthday later this month to be used as a suppertime verse of the day that the family can read and discuss.

I hope this inspires you to make something to share God's Word.

I'm sharing this project with the following challenges:
Our Daily Bread Designs Shining the Light #142- animals (fish)
Mojo Monday 280 - sketch for card
Word Art Wednesday #67 - scripture cards inside the box

5" x 6.5" Birthday Card and Scripture Box Recipe:
Paper - Graphic 45 "Botanical" and "Tropical Travelogue;" Bazill cardstock (gold and black); CTMH Colonial White cardstock
Stamp - Our Daily Bread Designs "Happy Birthday"
Ink - Memento Tuxedo Black, Close To My Heart Autumn Terracotta
Accents - CTMH Black Hemp, Washi Tape (gray polka dotted), Antique Gold Durables, and corrugated star from Milepost Shapes; (binding ring unknown)
Tools - Cuttlebug embossing folder; Martha Stewart border punch


 

5 comments:

Edwina said...

Very pretty card. I love the papers you used on it. Lovely sentiment. Thanks for sharing. Edwina Brown edwinabrown@comcast.net

Karen Letchworth said...

SO super creative, Vickie. You've knocked my socks off with this project! Thanks so much for sharing this in our challenge this week, and have an awesome week!
Karen
Word Art Wednesday

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

What a gorgeous set!! I just love your colors and patterns!! What a gorgeous card and box!! Thanks for joining the ODBD Shining the Light challenge this week!!

Carolina Girl (Cely) said...

Your masculine box and card turned out beautiful and you said exactly the words I wish I could find in a time of sadness like this. Your gift of verses is the perfect gift for the reasons exactly what you said.

Anne-Marie said...

What a thoughtful and inspiring gift....your uncle is bound to be comforted and uplifted by your kindness. You chose so carefully, both for the designs and the scriptures, and now have something very beautiful and worthwhile to give. x